Monday, February 17, 2014

Presentation

Presentation, when the search is completed with a new understanding enabling the person to explain his or her learning to others or in someway put the learning to use. (Kuhlthau)

I spent the morning testing out my new knowledge of frottage and decollage. It gave me new insight into these techniques to apply them firsthand. I like making art because I find it the manual process gives time for reflection on the concepts I am trying to express. It is interesting that collage could be a metaphor for the information inquiry process: taking existing material and constructing further or new meaning out of it.

There are all sorts of textural possibilities to use for frottage. I could not find much natural wood grain, such as Ernst used, but I tried a woven basket, pieces of lace, a wooden box, and decorative fixtures on my furniture. The result I liked the best was from a low relief Indian plate:

Ganesh frottage

Using frottage to reproduce the image from the plate added a sense of mystery and increased the exoticism of the Hindu god to me. I also noticed the elements of chance that would have appealed to the Surrealists. The texture was not reproduced perfectly or completely consistently, adding intriguing ambiguous variations.

Decollage was a little more difficult to produce. There was even more of an element of chance in the result of peeling away layers of paper. I did like the combination of construction and destruction and the way the process changed the original meaning of the components. I would like to continue to experiment with this technique.

I made one piece that ended up with an abstract, formal effect. The second one was inspired by Rotella's use of movie posters.

Green and orange decollage
Movie poster decollage


No comments:

Post a Comment