Initiation, when a person first becomes aware of a lack of knowledge or understanding and feelings of uncertainty and apprehension are common (Kuhlthau).
As
soon as I read this assignment, I started to think of all the things that I’ve
wanted to learn. I don’t feel as apprehensive as Kuhlthau would predict, maybe
because we’ve been given the freedom to pick any topic of our choosing. I do
feel a familiar worry about choosing a topic with the appropriate scope.
It is very natural, as I think about the task involved in this assignment, to turn to my own experiences and preferences. I
like making collaged cards for birthdays, weddings, etc. It seems more
personalized and expressive than a store-bought card. Lately I've been feeling kind
of in a rut, though, and I am trying to think of how to get some new ideas and
inspiration.
| Birthday cards I made |
Art and art history are topics I've always wanted to learn more about. I took art history in high school and enjoy visiting art museums. As an undergrad, I took a couple of art history classes at University College Dublin during my semester abroad, but it wasn't a part of my major at Notre Dame. I did take a photography class senior year, and two summers ago I wrote a research paper about Michelangelo for a class I took on the Renaissance.
![]() |
| The Libyan Sibyl, 1508-12, from the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Wikimedia Commons. |
It
seems like the work of modern artists would be more applicable to my own
projects. As far as artists who work in collage, Henry Darger is one of my
favorites. I did some preliminary research on the use of collage in outsider
art for my Reference class last year, but didn’t pursue it after the assignment
even though I learned some interesting information. I also learned about
Picasso and the origins of collage as a fine art in my class on modernism, but
I don't remember many details. I don't know much about any other artists who
make collages. I have seen some really interesting ones at various museums, but
I didn’t make a note of their names.
At
this point I am pretty sure I want to do some research on well-known artists
who do collage as art instead of reading craft books. I have a clear outcome in
mind (making some new cards that are different from what I've made before), but
I'm not really sure what the best way to go about achieving it is. I like the
idea of doing research that involves reading and looking at art. I wish I had
the time to take a “field trip” to a museum in Chicago or Indianapolis. I could
look into if any local museums have any examples of collage, or maybe even an
exhibit of a local artist.
Some
directions I could pursue:
- History of collage as fine art, or alternately more general history of the practice as a “craft”
- What is the difference between collage as a craft and as a fine art?
- What are the different techniques used in collage? Different materials?
- What kinds of messages has collage been used to express?
- How has collage been perceived by art criticism?
- What makes a collage successful?
I am definitely getting a
sense of the apprehension Kuhlthau is talking about. As I start to think about
my question, a million more arise. It really is a situation of becoming aware
of the extent of my own ignorance.

No comments:
Post a Comment