Sunday, February 16, 2014

Formulation

Formulation, when a focused perspective is formed and uncertainty diminishes as confidence begins to increase (Kuhlthau)

It has been helpful to take a step back from the information I found during exploration. I have some perspective on what I found and how it relates to my original question. When I was in the midst of exploration I started to feel like nothing was useful to me because many of the artists I was learning about were using collage for disruptive purposes. Works by Thomas Hirschhorn, for example are quite disturbing and do not at all convey an appropriate message for a birthday card!

Thomas Hirschhorn.
La Série des Antalgiques (Upfen), 2005.
Work on paper.
But as I thought about what I had read and listened to, I realized that I had gotten an overview of some of the big issues surrounding the use of collage and what it can be used to communicate. I understand more clearly various techniques that can be used and their effects. What stood out to me was the use of collage for juxtaposition or changing of context, and the appropriation of mass produced, commercial, or mechanically produced images for personal, expressive purposes. Now I feel able to target my research on concepts that apply to my original question. Without taking the time to explore, I probably would have wasted time on irrelevant resources that would have added to my confusion.

Even though I kind of knew at the start that I wanted to learn about techniques and materials, I was not articulating that purpose clearly enough in my mind. I did not know what other types of topics I was going to encounter once I started looking. So, it was easy to start thinking about the conceptual basis for collage within art history, because it is also interesting to me - but it doesn't help me with my current need for new ideas to use on my cards. I don't need to collect any information about that topic right now. I expect that I will be able to concentrate better instead of getting distracted by off-topic threads. I also don't feel like a failure for not collecting everything I come across, because I am conscious of my purpose and specific need.

Formulation is the turning point in Kuhlthau's Information Search Process (ISP). The same criteria of task, time, interest, and availability that I used to select my general topic, collage, are influencing my focus on a specific guiding idea. I need a pretty narrow topic because I only have a short time for the final two stages, collection and presentation.

Focus:

  • Find two types of collage techniques that I haven't used before (or very much). Identify examples of these techniques used for different purposes and different styles of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment